Monday, June 28, 2010

Looking Forward to This Fall

I'm the kind of guy who looks forward to the future. Like a lot. Like a lot a lot. And while there are many different areas of my life that I look forward to (:) ) There is one area that I have been focusing on.

Speech and Debate.

People told me before I joined debate last year to not measure what I thought of debate on my first year. This confused me because I loved debate. More than I can describe. So, needless to say, I can't wait for this year. I've already seen the improvement that being a.... ::tries to think of the title:: a "not novice" gives you, and I know that I can do well this year if I set my mind to it.

I figured out that Ben and I did reasonably well, considering our circumstances. Let me explain:

Ben and I qualified to Regionals at the Clarion Qualifier in Medford, OR, placing 5th out of the top 8. Of the top 8 at Clarion, 7 of them went on to break to outrounds at Regionals.

At Regionals, Ben and I were 1 of only 3 novice teams to break to outrounds. We had a 4-2 record in preliminary rounds, losing in octafinals. Out of the 3 teams that we lost to, all 3 went on to place in the top 5 at Regionals (5th, 3rd, and 1st respectively). Also, the team that eliminated us in octafinals went on to place 1st place at Regionals.

Then, out of the 3 teams that beat us at Regionals, 2 of them went on to place in the top 3 at Nationals (3rd and 2nd respectively). It would also be good to note that all three teams that beat us are graduating this year.

Needless to say, we feel that, barring similar (and unlikely) circumstances, we can do very well this upcoming year.

In addition to debate, I'm planning on participating in speech events. Right now, I'm planning on doing at least Apologetics, and impromptu. I also hope to do a duo, and persuasive. That would be 4 speech events in addition to debate, so I thought I might as well add on a 5th event (Humorous?) and just Ironman.

So I'd love your opinion. Do you think it's a good idea ironmanning? If so, why? Do you think it's a bad idea? If so, why?

I look forward to your feedback!

1 comment:

Sarah Aldrich said...

Wow Isaac! You are going to be busy, that's for sure! Ironman...hmm...well coming from someone who could have marathoned regionals and chose not to, I'm not sure how that would work. Four speech events was enough for me...adding debate? But if anyone COULD do it, it would be you. So if you're excited, go for it!